Thursday, September 12, 2013

More about Win

So, as I've said, I was going to work on Hellen's story. Earlier, I did have to work on Hellen's story. But now I have to work on Win's. It's justs the ways things works.
I'm going to do another Beautiful People (January 2012) for her, and at the end I'll share a snippet, too.

1. If your character’s house burned down, and they were left with nothing but the clothes on their back, what would they do? Where would they go?

      She would never beg. Ever. She would take Lorelle and walk through Covington (her town) looking for work. If she couldn't find work, she'd do anything she could, except ask for help. If she was at her wits end, and Lorelle (her toddler sister) was starving (she'd starve herself first), she would finally humble herself and go to Colin.

2. Are they happy with where they are in life, or would they like to move on?

      She is not content. She is lonely and poor, though she would never admit either. In her heart of hearts, she does want to "move on" but she doesn't talk or consciously think about her needs (she pretends not to have them).

3. Are they well-paid?

    No. She's not dirt-poor, but she almost is. But she was born a noblewoman and she acts like a noblewoman.

4. Can they read?

    Yes.

5. What languages do they speak?

      Just one. This is in a parallel universe, so I don't know what that is. But I picture her with an English accent.

6. What is their biggest mistake? 

      Deciding not to tell Finn certain things (like losing a job, or how dangerous her mystery is getting…).

7. What did they play with most as a child?

      Horses. Her father was always on a horse, and she was always near him.

8. What are their thoughts on politics?

      She doesn't have time for politics. She needs to focus on real life. 

9. What is their expected life time?

      She'd probably answer she doesn't have time to think about that either. She needs to work.

10.If they were falsely accused of murder, what would they do? How would they react?

      If she didn't have Lorelle to think about, she would stubbornly refuse to ask for help. She would deny it, of course, but she wouldn't "lower herself" by weeping or hiring a lawyer or giving them a speech about her innocence. But she would be frightened (though she wouldn't allow even herself to know that).
But she does have Lorelle to think about. So she would go to Finn or (swallowing her pride) Colin. She would borrow money from one of them to pay a lawyer, and she would find a relative who would take care of Lorelle, in the case of her conviction.



It begins:


“...You’re really very lucky. The debt isn’t excessive and you’ll even have some small bit of money left over after the sale of the house.”
“What, are you suggesting I sell the house?” I raised my eyebrows.
“Win, you don’t have much choice. I know someone who will buy it.” My cousin is not a cruel man, and very wise in money matters, I’m sure. At 21, he came into the inheritance from his dead father a year ago, and still has most of it left. But he doesn’t understand emotional things like sentimental houses as well as I would like.
“But where would we live? I don’t know anyone who would take both Lorelle and I in. And I won’t be separated! We’re all each other has, now.”
Colin pushed Father’s chair back from the desk and rose. He took hold of my arm, to stop my pacing, and said slowly,
“Well, you could live with me.”
Confused, I peered into his eyes.
“Live with you? Have you spoken to Auntie? I wouldn’t think she would like that.”
“I didn’t mean with my mother. I meant with me.” He paused, letting his words sink in.
“You don’t mean –”
“Yes. As my wife. Will you have me?” As the full import of his words sunk in, I jumped back, almost afraid of him now.
I forced a laugh. “You’re joking.”
He shook his head.
“Colin, I- I can’t...” I tried to pull my arm away, but he stepped closer. “I’m hardly old enough, I–”
“Why not? You’re almost sixteen; six years is a small difference. As a woman alone in the world without a fortune and without a father to protect her, you have little chance of marriage, and you’re also unprotected.” He paused. “And look at it this way: if you sell the house, you’ll have no house and little money. If you keep it, you’ll have a house but you’ll have no money and you’ll be in debt. You have no income.” He stepped closer. “Think of Lorelle.
“Colin, that’s not fair!” I cried.
“It’s only true. She needs food and care, and you can giver her neither. I would offer you all of that, and you refuse me without thought. Consider it, Win, before you make such a rash decision.”
 photo awdursignature_zps319c67b7.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spill your thoughts. Observe common courtesy. You'll make me happy.