Saturday, April 16, 2016

Dairy-free, Meat-free, Gluten-free (etc. and etc.) Rice and Beans Tortilla Soup

If I were a food blogger, I would name my blog "Food Does Not Have To Be Pretty".


If I were a food blogger, this would be a really high-quality photo of my latest creation (it's from the Shire by the by). I would then tell a wildly amusing story about why or how I invented this deliciousness. Further, I would list the benefits of this dish, including what diets it is suitable for and what substitutions are possible. I would conclude by describing in creative detail the hints of tapioca flavoring and the ambience of... something.
I'm not a food blogger and I have no funny story about this soup's creation. We needed dinner, we're on a very strict and specific diet, and no recipe was quite right.
This soup is animal-product free, sugar-free, gluten-free, onion-free, tomato-free, and a whole lot of other things free (no cocoa powder here, nor lettuce, nor basil, nor pickles, nor popsicles). But what's far more important than what is not in the soup is what is. Do look below to discover that.

Rice and Beans Tortilla Soup
Ingredients
  • 1 cup brown rice
  • 1 Tbl olive oil
  • 1 large bell pepper, chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can pinto (or kidney) beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 1/2 to 2 cups frozen corn
  • 10 cups vegetable stock (or 7 cups vegetable stock, 3 cups water)
  • 2-3 tsps chili powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1-2 tsps oregano
  • salt and pepper to taste*
  • Tortilla chips (optional, but would it be tortilla soup without tortilla chips?)
Directions
Heat olive oil on medium heat in a large pot. Sauté the bell pepper for about 3 minutes, then add the garlic and sauce for 1-2 minutes more.
Meanwhile, rinse the rice in a colander. Add it and the other ingredients (minus tortilla chips) to the large pot. Turn the heat to medium-low, put the lid on and simmer for 30-40 minutes (until rice is plump).

*If you don't put tortilla chips on top you need significantly more salt.

You could also top this with sour cream and cheese (but it wouldn't be vegan) or salsa (but that wouldn't be tomato- or onion-free).

Cheers!
 photo awdursignature_zps319c67b7.png

3 comments:

  1. Oh, and don't forget that you would list all the exact percentages of every kind of vitamin, and proteins and carbs and calories and sugars per serving....if you were a food blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I quite forgot (that's why I'm not a food blogger, you see). And I should mention the precise amount of time it takes and how many servings it makes.

      Delete

Spill your thoughts. Observe common courtesy. You'll make me happy.