Thursday, October 3, 2013

Celebrate Musicals Week!

Another post during Celebrate Musicals Week! (Okay, I'm not tired of the word "musical" yet, but I am tired of writing Celebrate Musicals Week. Henceforth, I call it CMW.)
As already said, my musical is My Fair Lady. I love My Fair Lady; I love the music, the costumes, the time period, the romance…
But it's been a while since I've actually watched MFL. So I decided not to do a review after all.
I will, instead chatter on about my favorite characters and about the brilliant actors that play them.
And I must show some of my favorite videos. I love this song. It doesn't show the beginning, so if you want to see the beginning you'll have to look here (though it's blurry and has strange subtitles).

I simply love her dress and her hair. Audrey Hepburn is such an amazing actress. She conveys Eliza's character so well. Eliza is angry, sometimes desperate, then haughty, then despairing, then bubbling with happiness, then hurt. Audrey does it all without it feeling awkward.

Marni Nixon, who sings for her in the movie, has a beautiful voice, too, stronger and clearer than Audrey Hepburn's. I can see why they chose her to do it, but I love Audrey Hepburn's voice. It's kind of sad that she didn't sing for herself. However, we have Youtube now! With people who can edit videos!

So, without further ado, Audrey Hepburn singing the song that comes after Rain in Spain.
You can also watch Audrey singing in Just You Wait and Without You!

I love this song. Love, love, love this song. When you watch this, you know why she went back to him. (Even though he did treat her like a flower girl sometimes). Her heart was lonely. No one had given her kindness or love, or even just payed attention to her. 
But being treated like a servant still hurt her. So when she went back to him, he should have humbled himself and ran to her and kissed her. She wanted to be pursued, not taken for granted. Still, after you see him singing "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" you know he does (secretly) wish her back. Secretly wish he hadn't behaved that way. Ashamed of how he acted, yet too proud to ask her for forgiveness. Rex Harrison does such a good job in the role. You don't exactly admire him, but you can empathize with him. After all, we've all succumbed to pride before.
I do admire Colonel Pickering (despite the fact that he gives Higgins all the glory in "You Did It"). Because even when Eliza couldn't talk good grammar, he treated her kindly. Fun fact: In the play Pygmaleon, which My Fair Lady is based on, Eliza marries Freddy, who squanders their money, and Col. Pickering ends up taking care of them. So yay for Col. Pickering! (why don't we abbreviate Colonel as just C. instead of Col.? It's so much faster!)
Anyway, sorry for the lateness and the shortness, but I gotta go eat dinner.
Love,
 photo awdursignature_zps319c67b7.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spill your thoughts. Observe common courtesy. You'll make me happy.